Maple Whiskey Mushroom Sub
I have no qualms in saying that this recipe hit the spot! This was inspired by my taste for a cheese steak sub but not wanting to go and get one AND wanting something that wasn't heavy. The delicious meaty flavor of the baby bella mushrooms with the distinct sweet pungent flavor of the onions and the char from the roasted red peppers.
If you're vegan and even if your not, this recipe hits all of the right notes in flavor, being a great meatless option and it's simple to make.
- pint (8 oz) baby portabella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1 baguette loaf
- 2 slices of provolone cheese
- 2 thinly sliced roasted red peppers
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Maple Whiskey spice blend
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter
- 2 heaping tablespoons sour cream
- 1 heaping tablespoon mayo
- 2 teaspoons Maple Whisky spice blend
- Heat a large pan, on medium high heat and add oil. Cook mushrooms for 8 -10 minutes or until they begin to brown. Add in red onions and 1 tablespoon of Maple Whiskey spice blend and stir and cook for another 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Cut baguette into to 4-5 inch sections and gently slice each section open to lay flat, you need 2 sections. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread butter over the top and lay face down on a piece of foil in the oven. After 2-3 minutes your bread should be hot and crusty.
- Remove baguettes from the oven and lay face up. Place two of slices of provolone on the center of each roll. Scoop mushroom mixture out on top of the provolone cheese and add diced roasted red peppers. Line a baking sheet with foil and place back in the oven for 3 minutes and the cheese begins to melt.
- Mix aoli sauce and set aside. You can use vegan mayo and sour cream.
- Remove pan from the oven. Sprinkle as much or as little of cilantro over the top and drizzle with aoli sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!