Pork & Collard Greens Eggrolls
Yes you’re reading this right, pork and collard greens egg rolls! This recipe is a mix of soul food with a little Asian fusion. With the rich flavor of sesame oil and the sharp tang of ginger mixed with the sweetness of the pork, mini peppers and collard greens...it makes for a delicious and savory party dish.
- 1/4 cup mini sweet peppers diced
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup red onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup carrots julienne
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cups collard greens cleaned, shredded and diced
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 2 cups baby portabella mushrooms rough chopped
- In a large pan, on medium heat, cook onions and garlic until translucent and golden. Add carrots, peppers, ginger and collard greens. Sprinkle in salt and saute for 10 minutes and then add your mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from pan and add pork and cook for 10 minutes until meat is thoroughly browned. Drain pork and add it and the vegetables back to the pan. Pour in sesame oil and stir for another 2 minutes and set it aside.
- Heat a deep sauce pan with canola oil on medium heat. Oil should be at least 2 inches deep.
- Place your egg roll wrap on a flat surface.Place a a large spoon full of mixture 2/3 of the way down the egg roll wrap on the side that is closest to you. Lift the end of the wrap closest to you and begin to roll away from you. As you begin to roll, tuck the filling in and continue to roll over with the egg roll wrap.
- Make sue that your oil is hot and place 4 egg rolls into the oil. Gently turn over to ensure even cooking on all sides. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from sauce pan and set aside to drain excess oil Serve and enjoy!