So, look. I've been craving beef and broccoli for a while. I finally said that enough was enough and whipped up my own tasty version using our Roasted Garlic Spice Blend. I wasn't sure if the kids would be open to a dish with a ton of garlic flavor...but let me tell you, they tore it up! Definitely kid approved. The recipe is fairly simple and doesn't take long to make.
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 6 tbsp of dark soy sauce
- 4 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp of sesame seed oil
- 4 tbsp of Roasted Garlic Spice Blend
- 1 1/2 lbs of top sirloin steak cut into thin strips
- 2 large heads of broccoli florets (2 - 3 cups of broccoli)
- 3 tbsp of avocado or canola oil
- Wash and cut down the broccoli heads into edible bites.
- In a bowl, mix your brown sugar and cornstarch together. In another bowl, add the soy sauce and sesame seed oil to the hot water. Next, add the brown sugar and cornstarch mixture and the Roasted Garlic Spice Blend to the hot water mixture and set aside.
- Heat a large pan to medium heat. Add one tablespoon of oil and add your broccoli to the pan. Make sure to turn them frequently so that it won't burn. Cook it for about 5-6 minutes with a semi covered lid. If you want it to be little more tender to the bite, add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and place the lid on top. It will gently steam the broccoli. Remove from the pan once it's to your desired tenderness.
- Turn the pan up to medium high and add the remaining oil and add your beef. Cook until tender and there is no pink. If your meat gives off a lot of juice, pour off and continue to cook the meat.
- Pour in your sauce and let it simmer. It will begin to thicken up in 1 - 2 minutes. Add your broccoli in and toss.
- If you want to, cook some rice and top it with the beef and broccoli. Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on this flavorful dish and enjoy!