There is one dish that I think about every year. It brings about feelings of nostalgia and that warm and fuzzy feeling. The first time that I made them, my daughters were literally standing right next to me as I pulled the fried tomatoes from the pan. We ate them, sprinkled with salt and topped with a dipping sauce that I had whipped up.
Being able to spend that time, over a meal and with the ones that I love...best day ever.
- 3 Large Green Tomatoes
- Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup of Flour
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup of Milk
BREADCRUMBS COATING MIXTURE
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Salt
- 1 3/4 Cup of Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon of Onion Powder
- Pour oil into cooking pan to about 1/2" in depth and heat the oil to medium heat.
- Slice the tomatoes in 1/4" thick slices.
- Combine each mixture in three separate bowls, starting with the flour mixture, then the egg wash, followed by breadcrumb coating mixture.
- Place a tomato slice in the flour. Coat both sides and tap off any extra mixture.
- Next, dip the tomato slice in the egg wash, Turn over to make sure that it's evenly coated.
- Finally, dredge the tomato through the breadcrumb coating, Make sure that both sides are thoroughly coated and shake off any excess mixture.
- Gently place the sliced tomato in into the heated oil. In 2 to 3 minutes, check the side face down for a nice golden brown color then flip it over to brown the other side.
- Once each side is golden, remove the cooked tomato and set it on a baking rack to drain. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt while they are still hot.
- Allow to cool some and enjoy!